Sunday, July 15, 2012

This is life now. This is my reality, this is what it is. In many ways it is different, in many ways it is the same and in even more ways it has gotten so much better. I'm figuring out the new role, I'm getting comfortable in this new skin. But there are still the moments. The moments that pierce through the defenses I have built. Memories that I can't keep out in the haunting shadows of the lonely nights. Frustration with no one to dump them on, except for the undeserving soldiers who have stood by me through it all. Questions that even God won't answer when I want to demand it. Sometimes it feels like too much, the negativity, the arguing, splitting up a life, trying to show the worst in a person who you were supposed to love through everything. This is it, this is really happening. The moment became real when I sat in a lawyers office and spelled out the names of each of my children and their ages: 5, 3 and 3 mos. The heartbreak that came from saying that out loud was insurmountable and I felt a near panic level as the walls seemed to close in. I had spent so many years shielding them from him and these fights and now rattling it off like it was nothing became more that I could handle and I got out of that office as quickly as I could. The rain smashing the windshield only matched the tears that poured out me. I cried the entire drive home and when I stepped in the house I saw my girls, playing and smiling and happy as could be, for they were where they were supposed to be and they were happy and I realized we are tough and even if life gets tough we have each other and that's what matters. We will survive this, life may be tough but us girls are tougher.

2 comments:

  1. Heather; I thought I admired you before, however after reading this -"admire" seems to be too small of a word. I adore you for enduring so much for so long and I adore you for writing these posts and I adore you for protecting your babies. I have felt guilty for speculating on what happened - and sadly I didn't even come close to the truth. You should keep writing...because it will give you courage and because you are gifted. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I thought about you a lot this week and was suprised to see a new entry pop up on your old blog. I felt I needed to call you but I lamely didn't and for that I'm sorry. you have been in my thoughts. I commend this process, this purging through writing. You know I believe in the healing that comes from it. but I know it takes courage. I miss you. I am sorry you are going through this, it breaks my heart. I hope you know your friend in Kentucky loves you and is praying for you. You are strong and more importantly you know where that strength comes from....and because you know where to turn you will be ok, and so will they. I WILL call you soon, heaven knows I am as big as a whale and can't seem to get off the floor to do anything else so I might as well chat!

    ReplyDelete